Join the Sumday community

M
B
I
L
A

๐Ÿ—ณ๏ธย Poll: Air New Zealand drops their 2030 emissions reduction target

Air New Zealand has announced this week they are dropping their 2030 emissions reduction target, citing delivery delays of fuel-efficient aircraft and high green fuel prices. They are the first airline to revise their emission targets. source

What do you think about Air New Zealand's decision to revise their target?

Vote with your emojis:

• ๐Ÿ‘ I support the decision. Realistic and achievable goals are more important.

• ๐Ÿ˜ข I disagree with the decision. Companies should strive to meet their original commitments.

• ๐Ÿ‘ This is a show of leadership.

• ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I have mixed feelings. It's understandable but still disappointing.

• ๐Ÿ™ I need more information to form an opinion.

• โญ Companies should focus more on innovative solutions to meet their targets.

Please share your thoughts in the comments too!

T
A
1 commentยท1 reply

I think it's great that they have bitten the bullet and adjusted their target. Even though this isn't favourable, they've given us their best estimate based on new information. The only way we will be able to tackle these problems is if we're honest about them.

However, I think they should also be required to publish their original target alongside their new target.

This way companies are held accountable to their original targets. Otherwise, companies could continue to push their targets out each year, again and again. Meanwhile throughout the whole journey they would have been getting rewarded by the market for their aggressive commitments above and beyond their competitors. This basically has the same effect as greenwashing and I think it should be punished in the same way.

Totally agree, targets aren't meant to be a set and forget exercise, clear comms, honesty, transparency and accountability are so important and it's great to see a kiwi company show leadership in this rather than avoid the topic.

That's a good point re publishing the original alongside new. A requirement like this would discourage willy-nilly setting and revising of targets that would undermine trust and progress.